Weight Loss Statistics:
Weight Loss Last Week: -2.5lbs.
Weight Loss to Date: -12 lbs.
Left to Goal: -1lb. (wedding day weight)
Left to Stretch Goal: -5lbs.
Woop! I'm so there! BooYAH!
For those of you wondering how I managed to lose 12 pounds (and over the holidays, no less) here's my secret -- I have no idea! Just kidding. Actually, it started out just counting calories and taking them down a bit. That worked for the first month or so. I also started doing Pilates three times a week. I'll post more about Pilates another time - it's my love (besides Keith, of course)! Now, I've learned quite a bit about eating healthy versus "eating healthy" and adjusted my habits accordingly. I do not count calories at all, and I don't miss it one bit! I'm actually losing more weight, and I have more energy! Here are the keys:
- Cut back on the salt! Try not to eat anything that has over 350mgs of sodium. Buy low or no sodium canned foods. Try other seasonings besides salt, like Mrs. Dash, Spike, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, lemon juice, etc. Get creative! It's better for you and it'll get you to experiment.
- More fruits & veggies! Eat a salad a day with low sodium dressing (or make your own). Try a smoothie or piece of fruit for dessert. Add berries or bananas to your cereal in the morning. Slice up carrots, celery, cucumbers, red peppers and have them in your fridge for an easy snack.
- Sugar is bad. Don't eat it. Try freezing a banana and blending it with some vanilla soy milk and a bit of ground flax seed. It's like ice cream! You can do this with just about any frozen fruit. Experiment! Also, try date sugar in baking. All natural and it sweetens things up.
- Switch to whole grains. Bleached white flour is bad. Plus, whole grains fill you up more. Try a whole grain bagel with almond butter for breakfast. Have your turkey on a sprouted whole wheat wrap. Only buy whole wheat - this is an easy one and definitely makes a difference.
- Snack on unsalted cashews, almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Cut a whole grain pita into triangles, dust with garlic powder and bake at 350 degrees until crisp - homemade "chips!"
- Cheat. Do it. Have crab cakes, a big juicy burger and fries, a beer (or several), a milkshake. If you tell yourself that you can't have these things ever again, you'll be unsuccessful. When you cheat, make it count, and then move on. Try not to cheat more than once a week. This is super important if you want to maintain your weight loss and be an all-around happy person.
- Exercise. Do I really have to put this in here? There's NO way to be healthy unless you exercise. Your body needs it. It's good for you. It creates endorphins. Find something you like and DO IT. It can be speed vacuuming, dancing around your house to loud 90's music, bench pressing your dog. Whatever it is, it's going to make a difference.
- Educate yourself. For a long time, I thought I ate pretty healthy. I've come to find out that many, many things I ate were not healthy at all. It's important to learn about different ways of eating and see what works for you.
My last weigh-in before Hawaii will be this Saturday. Wish me luck!